Saturday 10 April 2010

Book Cover Design - stage one

That last post was just to point out my tastes, aesthetically. Now I'm going to sum up parts of my novel, and see where they fit into possible cover ideas.

The 5 most important points in the Guns of Pleasure and Death

1)the guns
2)the skulls
3)Matilda
4)Britain
5)the guardian/Midas


The genre is Sword and sorcery crossed with Steampunk, but in the tradition of Victorian Penny bloods.

So where does that leave me?

Confused.

Locations: the Amazonian rainforest, Edwardian London, on board the Titanic.

Nope, still nothing is suggesting itself to me. Damn.

This is harder than I thought it was going to be. How did you come up with your book cover?

3 comments:

  1. I've had four book covers done so far, all with the same artist. I give her a rundown of what the book is about, the feel of the book, the main characters, and then let her go to town. She always comes back with amazing designs. I've chosen to work with freelancers for art design, editing, and interior layout rather than do it myself, though. I just do the writing and publishing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a good friend who did art at college and makes her own jewellery. We've worked together on various things including magazines for our kids' school; but if I go to her I'll need to know exactly what I want her to do.

    Can I ask how nuch your freelancer cost?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It fluctuates between cover designs, depending on how long it takes her to do the cover. The two I just contracted were a total of $540USD. I have a budget of no more than $300USD per cover, and she stays within that budget for me.

    ReplyDelete